Friday, February 27, 2015

Vivian Ong: W/W/H Identity Discussion Post

Vivian Ong: W/W/H of my Identity

I will discuss my identity of a traveler, and how that identity opens up many opportunities in life.

Traveling is a huge part of who I am. For example, a semester studying and living abroad fits almost perfectly into my overall educational goals. I am a firm believer that traveling and experiencing new cultures is one of the best ways to educate myself with new perspectives, expose myself to future potential business partners, and help myself grow as a person. I was brought up in the United States, and because I’ve been raised in one consistent culture throughout my life, I have been taught to think and see the world in a certain way. I believe living abroad would open my eyes to how other cultures view the world, and would allow me to consider possibilities outside my own opinions and viewpoints. Opening my mind to various perspectives will be useful in the business world, especially when solving problems creatively.
Traveling also exposes me to a network of business partners I likely would not connect with if I do not live in the country. I am a business school student, and as I have learned, the business world is based upon how solid one’s connections are, and the economy is based on how successful the business culture is. If I were the CEO of a company and wanted to extend my company overseas, it would be very helpful to have strong connections that understood the local area to help aid my company become successful in other nations. Living abroad a semester will expose me to a plethora of business partners who could potentially benefit my company or me in the future both locally or internationally.
Finally, I know that my identity as a traveler will help me grow as a person. Living in a new country and its culture is an entirely different story. I realize I will face challenging situations, whether academic or personal, and will not always have the comfort of being able to reach out and ask my parents for help. However, this is something I look forward to, as these challenges will strengthen me to become a more independent individual, and force me to rely on my abilities and myself.

As a traveler, I want to achieve my goal of becoming an individual who is able to adapt to any given situation. I also seek to gain new business perspectives from a thriving market, and apply these practices when I return to the US. Studying abroad is an experience that is both exciting and challenging. I hope to encounter challenges that will push me out of my comfort zone and teach me how to adapt my abilities and way of thinking to any situation I may encounter. I also hope that from these obstacles, I will learn how to come up with creative solutions from lessons I have learned from my experiences traveling. I expect to pick up cultural viewpoints that I can apply to my every day life, and hope my experience abroad will help me discover and learn more about myself through another culture’s eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment